The Armour surcoat I made for this summer’s Epic Empires quickly became one of my favourite pieces of Costume.
I have not managed to take good pictures of the finished surcoat, so here are some WIP photographs. The surcoat still lacks clasps here, and the sides are not yet closed. But all the embroidery, the leather and the lining are already finished.
Thank you for Kelric and Nummi for catching these moments during the Final Battle of the Epic Empires 2017
These are the only pictures with the finshed armour surcoat, which proved to be resisant to dirt, fake blood and everything else. By tha way, this scalemaille is waterproof, and it probably saved my life, because it was raining nonstop.
I led an army on a Larp this summer, and it went terribly wrong, in almost every way. In the end we had some good fights, and some of my mistakes led to a mighty epic conflict.
But If I ever do something like this again, I need to learn how to shout first. Apparently my voice is not as loud as I thought it was.
Sometimes I spend months making a really fancy piece of costume, but sometimes its just time to top up on shirts. Like, you can never have enough shirts, right?
I made this for a friend, Imrath, whose character is a Tolkienesque wood elf (without the beard, of course).
For Years I did not use embroidery fleece or stich&tear, I either painted my designs directly onto the fabric or improvised using chinese paper. But ever since I discovered Solufleece, I have not done a single embroidery wihtout. I was always afraid to damage my embroidery while removing the backing, but Soluvlies will dissolve on contact with water… no tearing at all.
Working with Solufleece is very satisfying. the pattern of the material helps with making everything look even, and you can paint on in with a thin marker, even tracing design from paper.
Then comes the best part: removing the Solufleece.
Solufleece is ugly, so after dissolving it and seeing the finished work for the first time, I have this WOW effect every time. I still have to remove the thread that held the fleece in place by hand, and Ill have to remove a few small bits that still stick to the fabric, using warm water. But its such a huge improvement to any workflow I used before.
I am working on a civillian garb for Iseul-Sung, my Palace Servant character. Like the rest of the costume it is inspired by traditional Hanbok.
I’ve read somwhere that Hanbok is partially glued together istead of sewn, but of course it doesn’t say where its glued. Still, lots of textile glue hidden in this costume.
Moritz Jendral took these Photos during the Epic Empires 2016. He is a fantastic Larp Photographer, go check out his work!